A month (or so) ago I noticed that my clothes dryer was not drying as it should. Now, friends, we all know that this means there is too much lint collected in the darned thing. "Easy enough." I thought, "I can do this myself."
Those of you who have gotten to know me by reading this blog are already on high alert. "Yes," you are saying to yourself, "she is about to go into that place where she has gone many times before...debacle land (better known as the wacky world of Karen's projects).
Of course I pulled the dryer out, unhooked the foil covered 'slinky' thingy and cleaned out the back of the dryer (and said 'slinky'). I hooked everything back up and tried the dryer...nada, zip, zilch...still wouldn't dry. This meant that the tin pipe that ran from the center of my house (where the laundry room is), under my bedroom, and out into the back yard had lint (and probably a sock or two) trapped inside.
I went into a preplanning brainstorming mode (which, in retrospect proved to be totally useless) and devised a plan to clean out this 25 foot pipe. "Really," I thought again, "I can do this. Besides a plumber would charge me major bucks! Think of all the money I can save." (And while I am at it...why is there a 'B' in plumber? Yes, I have ADHD)
First, I had to devise a way to reach the gunk held hostage in this long, looong, looooooong pipe. I had a scathingly brilliant idea (and there will be extra points awarded to those of you who can tell me what movie that phrase came from). "Easy peasy", I thought. "All I have to do is tape together several of those old tent poles I have been hanging on to." And 'voila' (Impressed? I am multi lingual), an 'obstruction removal device' was constructed.
With my helpers, Toby and Kit (who always love to watch me at work...for the comic relief I am sure) I set about getting the job done.
|Toby has already had his nose |
in that hole several times. (See
the long pole..clever huh!)
|Kit kept swatting at the end of the pole|
like it was some kind of snake.
I carefully (key word) taped each segment of the poles together and rammed the end up into the pipe until it reached the curved portion in the laundry room floor (below). Then I tied a nylon rope to the end and pulled it through the pipe.
|Here are the props for my scathingly brilliant idea. |
Once I had the line running through the pipe
I attached a fuzzy duster to the cord.
|Well, Toby had a different idea.|
|"Nope, Mom, you can't have it!"|
|"Ok, you chased me clear |
out into the back yard, so
I guess you can have it now."
The next step was to pull the duster through the pipe. Brilliant, right! I had to hot foot it outside to pull the cord then do a reverse hot foot to pull it back. However (and you knew there was going to be a however didn't you), there appeared to be a point about half way through where it got caught and I had to tug a little. "No problem," I said to myself, "I will just tape a hand trowel to the end of the 'obstruction removal device' (the long pole) and use it to poke and scrape the stubborn debris from the pipe."
Considering this an even more scathingly brilliant idea, I went about the task of adding the trowel and then poked the entire devise up into the pipe. I could feel the obstruction when the point of the trowel reached the spot so I jabbed at the reluctant glob and was elated to feel it give away. Happily, I pulled the pole back so I could pull the duster through again. HOWEVER (and this is the big however that you have been expecting), one of the taped sections came loose and lodged in the pipe. Most of the pole came out but the section with the trowel remained behind. "OH BOTHER!" (was not what I exclaimed).
"Not to worry, I can fix this," I muttered to myself (I was definitely in a state of denial). The nylon cord was still in the pipe so I attached the fuzzy duster to it again and proceeded to pull it through the pipe thus (in theory) dislodging the trowel and pole. Nope, didn't work. Not only that, the fuzzy duster is now held captive along with the trowel and partial pole.
End result pictured below:
|Sooooooo, if I wish to use my dryer (which is thankfully electric)|
I have to keep this filter on the back to catch the lint.
The only problem is that
TOBY KEEPS STEELING IT!