Monday, May 2, 2011

#180 -LOOSING IT...A ROAD RAGE STORY

Back in the "good old days" when I was struggling to support my 2 kids with little to no help for their dads, I was continually frustrated.  I had a good job, but the wages weren’t as much as I needed.  My folks helped out a lot but I was always playing the shell game with my bills.

My job was stressful, my children were demanding, my life seemed hectic and I didn’t know how on earth I was going to get through the day, let alone the month.   I had just bought a new, red, 1968 Mustang and the payments were eating me alive.

One night I was late getting my son to Cub Scouts.  I had to run by my kid’s favorite place (Pup and Taco) and pick up a quick meal for them. I only had enough money to buy their meal (one taco, one hot dog, and two drinks).

I pulled out of the driveway of the place onto a wide four-lane thoroughfare.  I was the only car on the road at that time.  As I continued on down the road I saw a car at an intersection on my left.  It was just sitting there at a stop sign.  As I approached I kept my eye on him.  Just seconds before I got to this intersection he pulled out in front of me.
The #$%@ road hog just pulled out!

I threw on the breaks narrowly missing a collision.  This made me mad, but what really set me off was the crying from the back seat.  Patty, her hotdog, and her drink had been sent crashing to the floor (before seat belts).  Gene was in the front seat beside me and he hit the dash along with his taco and drink.

After a quick check to make sure no one was hurt, I floored the gas and took off after the maniac.  As I was flying down the road I said to my son, “Gene, gather up all the taco and ice from the floor, and get your sister's stuff too.”  Continuing on my chase I added, “Shove it all into your cup and hand it to me.”  I was beginning to catch the guy.  I then said, “Honey, roll down the window.” 

Gene’s eyes grew big as dawned on him what I was about to do.  The light up ahead turned red and the sedan had stopped.  It was a warm night and the target’s window was open.  I pulled up along the driver’s side, slammed on the breaks, leaned over my son, and threw the contents of the cup out the window of my car and into the window of the jerks car.  I shouted something like, “Here, you can have what is left of my children’s dinner!” (And, I think I may have called him a name.....ok, I'm sure I did).  
You know,  there isn't clip art of a bunch of food 
flying out the passenger door window....go figure!
I then hit the gas and ran the red light. 

I looked up into the rear view window to see if I was being chased  (I mean this was in Southern California and, believe it or not. there were some people with serious road rage in this area).  


It was a straightaway and I could see him for blocks.  His car just sat there through several lights.  Then I turned off and I never knew how long he sat there.

We were late to Cub Scouts, hungry, but we made it there alive.  While gobbling more than our share of refreshments I over heard my son talking to his friend Bobbie.  It went something like this:

“… … … you should have seen her face.  I have NEVER seen my mom that mad.   But, the best part was seeing what happened to that guy.  I saw some of he stuff she threw go into his ear!  It must have gone all over the front seat too as Mom really heaved it.  This guy turned to us just as my mom LAID RUBBER.  I got a good look at him and he had stuff all over his face and a funny look like he didn’t have a clue what had just happened.  His mouth was hanging open and his eyes were bugged out.  He just sat there and watched us drive away.”


Again, no clip art of a shocked man with tacos all over his face.  Use your imagination!
I felt guilty, not for what I did to THAT MAN, but for setting such a poor example for my children.  The next evening I sat them both down, apologized to them and explained why I was wrong and what could have happened.

My son simply said, “Well, Mom, just remember the next time I do something stupid, that I’m just following in your footsteps.”

Ever so often my son would point to the shiny spatter spots above the passenger window of the car, laugh, and remind me of the day I lost it!
kt 3/30/11

16 comments:

  1. I just imagine the person who is being a hog in a pair of stocks and I ma chucking tomatoes at them. That usually works. Mind you - I bet your method was more effective ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's not politically correct, but I commend your quick thinking action at the time! People like that deserve to be given a little of their own back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! You are braver than most I would say! I only throw food at family members or friends, but going for a stranger that takes guts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarious! That was quick thinking, and it worked out nicely with the stop sign and open window, and your great aim! I'll bet he thought twice about ever pulling out in front of little red cars! Our kids have such a nice way of describing our actions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again I'm laughing my butt off! I swear I will eventually be thin as a rail if I keep reading your post! Oh by the way I posted the answer to your question. The one about whether or not i got my neighbor back. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo funny! I remember the days before seatbelts! What were we all thinking- we flew about the car and slid back and forth across those big, vinyl bench seats!! I also get such a kick out of 'Pup and Taco'- a place that serves hot dogs and tacos? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laugh out loud funny! I'm so glad your story had a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lady,
    Just making sure I didn't offend you with my email yesterday and also checking to see how you are doing today?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, that is so funny! I would have loved to see the look on YOUR face! It reminds me of a time just about two months ago...my husband was NOT have a good morning and we were out of this and that for breakfast and he put a waffle in the toaster and of course it got stuck. So he got the knife and was trying to dig it out and it just started falling apart and the more he dug, the more it fell apart. Nicholas and I just watched in silence as he turned the toaster over and started banging it on the counter, yelling how much he hated the toaster as he banged! Of coure by this time, every crumb that ever befell that toaster was on the counter and on the floor and we just burst out laughing at how silly he looked.
    Needless to say, he did sit Nicholas down and tell him how irrational, blah, blah, blah he had been and that he shouldn't have done that...we still laugh over it!
    Thanks so much for putting Hurricane's photo and link on your sidebar...I saw that and thought; 'who is that pretty dog?'
    hugs for thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had people wait until the last second to pull out in front of me to cross the intersection quite a bit lately, forcing me to try and break on a dime. They all seem oblivious to the fact that I am even there...go figure. You are or were a hot headed one. I don't think I would want to tangle with you any time sooner or later, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I now have to come up with a story .....
    Ok this is a little different but I have to tell it to you. When my daughter was dating her husband. She was about 21 or 22. She was driving to the mall with her friend when her boyfriend saw her (she didn't see him). She was at a stop light and he was about 4 cars behind her. He decided to run up and scare her, knowing she scream and be completely shocked. Well, he runs up and gets to her window and yells 'hey'. She screamed all right but at the same time she doubled her fist and slugged him! She thought it was a mugger. Poor guy was holding his face but laughting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally understand that family always comes first. You do what you have to do to make it all work out, and don't worry about all this blogging stuff. Sometimes we need timeouts. It will all be waiting patiently for whenever you have time again. Take care and stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my! I can't say that I've ever done something of the sort. Oh, but I have wanted to... I just may have, if placed in your shoes, by the sound of it.

    I got your message on my blog and wanted to email you back, but can't find how to contact you beyond commenting here. :-( I just wanted to tell you that I am keeping you in my thoughts, kt. I understand about having to balancing things and how frustrating it can be when you aren't able to do the things that you want to vs the things that keep you otherwise occupied. Just know I'm thinking of you and will drop by as often as I, too, am able. Hang in there, lady! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've come over especially to leave you a GREAT BIG HUG and to reassure you we'll all still be right here when you get back. We completely understand how demanding your life is right now! I don't think any of us would want to swap situations with you.

    TAKE CARE, Karen!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. LMAO!!!
    Got your message also Just wanted to stop by with blessings & hugs. All coming to you through the Universe full of bright light & positive energy.

    ~~blessed be...

    ReplyDelete