Wednesday, June 8, 2011

#191-MEMORY AND MONTAGE

When reading New Life (thedesertrocks) June 5th post (about remembering names) it caused me to recall a problem I had in my classsroom yearrrrrrrssss ago.

In grade school I was one of those teachers who had to make the students keep their name tags on their desks for at least the first quarter.  Then when I moved to highschool and had different students each hour I had to keep a seating chart handy.

However, I couldn't carry a seating chart around while doing direct instruction or when stopping by desks to check on understanding.  So, I am embarassed to say that  I once had a student whose name was John but, for one full school term I called him Paul.  I tried everything.   I felt so bad that I fined myself one nickle each time I called him Paul.  Prominantly placed on my desk was a fairly large bank that I would deposit the nickel.   At the end of the week I would give Paul John the money in the pot.  At the end of each quarter I would apologize for my inability to call him by his real name.  He would just looked at me, smile and said, "Ms. Taylor, it is fine with me as long as the money keeps rolling in!"        kt

While writing this I received the following GREAT pictures from a friend.  Since I couldn't find  art for this post I thought I would pass some of the cuter ones.  I, also, decided to try to add captions.

Now, Freddie, look me in the eye and tell me again where you were last night, or I'm pulling your ear off.

Hummmm, interesting place to grow flowers. Now, where's the bathroom?  I have to go.

Hold still, Tom,  I have to hold my head just right to zero in on the scent.

Hey fella,  I bit a man on the leg.  What did ya do?

Open up, I know there's food in there somewhere.  I can smell it.

Me first...No me.....Ahhhh, I'm stuck,  move...no you move... ... ...

Hey!  I lost the one you threw.  Will this one do?

Will this trick qualify me for  America's Got Talent?

Turn out the darned lights.  I'm tryin to sleep here!

 I could care less what you think, Bruzer.  I'm not getting up until you say you're sorry.
And you had better say it quickly, because you ate all my GasX.

 You never listen to me, Shadow.  I told you that there was a skunk under here.
 Hoagie, for crying out loud,  just shut up and breathe!

8 comments:

  1. KT,
    what a hilarious post of pictures and the story...it made me remember the year I had a self-contained class and out of 12 kids, I had 2 Johns, Jacob, Joshua, Jordan and I'd start out saying one name and confuse myself and would just sing the song, John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt and all the kids would laugh...thank God I didn't pay them for my mistakes because they'd be rich!
    The quotes and the captions are hilarious...I started to say I love the dog with the log but I also like the squirrels. Started my morning off right!
    Okay, I caught up on a couplde blogs down since I've been so lax...can't watch videos with soldiers because it breaks my heart but I love how you aced your masters exam with your strategy! Great job!
    thanks again for the smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your classroom story, but the photos & captions were hilarious! How do you suppose the dog in the "America's Got Talent" picture gets in that position?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and thanks for the mention. I love the photos! Too cute. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos...I'm a photo girl myself...and do photo blogs all the time. These were fun photos...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, the two dogs trying to get through one door that was probably already too small for one of them is great. Reminds me of my cats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice collection of photos. Enjoyed the comment you left about your dad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great classroom story! I've had similar times when I consistently called a student by the wrong name. I guess as long as it's the same wrong name every time, it's not quite so bad.

    Funny pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story was funny. The pictures remind me of my zoo! My big dog sits on everyone just like those boxers are. Well replace the bottom one with a person. (I make up names for the kids in my class depending on their personality, and whether or not I can remember their names. I'm horrible with names. So far i haven't gotten into trouble for it but I haven't called anyone dumb ass or stupid either so I guess i'm good.

    ReplyDelete