Monday, August 1, 2011

#202 - ALL FIRED UP!

When I was a Sophomore at Santa Monica City College I took several speech classes.   Noooooo, way you say!  This gal is way too shy!  Sure, right!  Well, this story is about my final speech in that class.

I wanted to get an "A" since I was thinking about becoming a member of Toastmasters International.  All of my other speeches received fantastic reviews and I was working on straight "A's."  To me this had to be a speech that EVERYONE would remember, especially the instructor (who could be my Toastmasters' sponsor, if I finished well).

I researched feverishly on my topic which was drawn from a box.  At first I wasn't too enthused because it the topic I drew was, "The Dangers of House Fires."  However, after reading a gazillion articles a plan began to form in my mind.

An outline of the required techniques was made and under each one notes were sketched.  I began to get excited and could see the way it was going to go.  My information was well documented, phrased in interesting and unique ways, and I had come up with a mind staggering (required) demonstration/finale.

On the day of the final, I admit, l I was a little nervous.  With my notes memorized in my head I stepped to the podium and set up my props, stage right, on a table.  One of these props was a carefully crafted paper and cardboard house with shingles, a chimney, windows, door and the typical type of siding drawn in color on the model.

My voice was well modulated, my tempo was up beat and crisp, I demonstrated an excitement about the information I was imparting and put across the seriousness of the topic.  I HAD THEM EATING OUT OF MY HANDS.  I was cooking on all burners.  I was firing on all cylinders.  I was going like a house afire.  It is then that I launched into my final comment and the ending that would grab them all.

As I said, "Don't let this happen to you," I stuck a match and touched it to the house.  Well, here is where it gets interesting.  I had worried about the house not catching fire, or only partially burning so (remember I was only a Sophomore in college and REALLY STUPID!)  therefore I had soaked the paper house with lighter fluid....................  WOOSH!  up it went.  If the front row had been any closer their eyebrows would have been part of my speech.  Everyone jumped up, the fire alarm went off, and I looked on stunned at the conflagration melting the top of the table.  The instructor rushed up with a fire extinguisher and became a participant in my memorable demonstration.

Mann, oh mann, it went up in a mini explosion of flame in less than 5 seconds.  WHAT A SIGHT!
I GOT AN "A." (and a lecture from the Dean).


POST SCRIPT:  I have had several blog worthy experiences with fire.  See the following:
          #32 = the 9th Street Fire Fiend,  http://outofmymindbykt.blogspot.com/2011/03/164-fiday-flashbacks-9th-street-fire.html

          #20 = Recipe for Disaster,  http://outofmymindbykt.blogspot.com/2010/08/20-recipe-for-disaster.html

          #90 = From the Frying Pan to the Fire, http://outofmymindbykt.blogspot.com/2011/01/90-from-fring-pan-into-fire.html

I also have one more coming up as soon as I get around to writing it.  What can I say....I'm a slow learner and I have already told you that have ADHD (and am a tad nuts).  By the way.  I never joined toastmasters.  I fell in love instead... ... ...

                             
             SEE YOU NEXT MONDAY FOR.....#203-"BOO!, BUG-A-BOO, TOBY, AND A KITTY TOO!"
       BE SURE TO WRITE THE 8/29 ON YOU CALENDAR FOR MY FAVORITE STORY.


kt 7/3/11






31 comments:

  1. Well we are similar creatures indeed. This makes me thing of that post about my neighbor and I blowing all the hair off our faces when we tried to burn our weeks with gas. lol
    Thanks for reading so many of my post yesterday. Your comments were all so nice!
    I hope all is going well for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello There:
    Just stumbled across your blog and wanted to tell you, the story was great. I could actually picture you delivering your speech and everything that followed. Tooooo Funny. Thanks for giving me a morning laugh.
    I just started blogging a few months ago and am amazed with all the nice people I have met.
    Perhaps you might visit me @ http://saucykodz.blogspot.com sometime. Thanks and have a great day.
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AWESOME! That is sooo funny! I can't believe you dosed it with lighter fluid beforehand and still got an A. Nice work girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hilarious!!! I absolutely love it. OH and that first picture is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, and you had so much promise! LOL- Great post, you know how to write humor and I hope you will be turning this stuff into a book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story, and gorgeous photo of you. You do have a funny relationship with fire, don't you? Hey, I used to live right by SMCC, it's a great place to live.
    Have a great week kt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt anyway. That must've been quite a surprise though.

    Very glamorous photo indeed young one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that photo and this story is so funny ;D but I'm glad you got A after all that ;DD

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right, but I have my whole life in front of me to catch up with all of you :) I sure hope I'll laugh that much ;D

    And yes, my native language is Latvian, but we learn English in school. Plus I grew up watching Disney channel ;D I think I learned English mostly from TV. Now I don't even like watching movies in my language. I prefer English :)

    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, how pretty you look in that picture. LOL, that was hilarious. I would have given you an "A" too. So you fell in love instead...leave it to guys to make us believe they're worth more than our dreams. :) Mine struggles with that issue every day. Your story reminds me of the time he signed his eyebrows with the new grill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi KT - thanks for the note and thanks for visiting. Yes, my "Living Trees" in the back yard are the "YardKidz" and usually get new outfits each spring.:) PJ is a card and spoiled - u r rite. H-m-m-m-m, as I said I have met some really nice people blogging and I ?think I opened up some of my blogging friends followers - your opening statement on your blog intrigued me to pop in and read - so kiddo, I will be back - just heading off to music down by the river as we celebrate New Brunswick Day, here in Atlantic Canada. Cheers
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful picture--but I think you still look beautiful! Some idiot (read man) once told me, "You must have been really beautiful when you were young." I think--hope--he meant it as a compliment.

    When you have dinner guests, do they bring flowers, wine and/or a fire extinguisher?

    Isn't it great to have a computer? That way, those of US who aren't to be trusted with sharp objects don't have to write notes in crayon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great photo- very Donna Reed. Haha!! I can not imagine giving a speech and setting something on fire- you really wanted that A! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my daughter's birthday post. I haven't blogged in a bit because I was very busy helping my parents move and getting ready to start the school year and now, I just want to do absolutely nothing. Lol! Can't wait to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know about you, girl; you've had way too many crazy happenings in your life, lol. You're clearly one who likes to live life, and it's so much fun reading about all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha! That is my favorite fire story yet! Well, I am so glad you got an A!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kt, if you have time to stop over tomorrow I gave you a Liebster thingy award. You can do with it what you want, but its fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not read the Third Policeman...left you a reply on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember taking speech class in high school...so nerve wracking! Although my speeches were never as inflammatory as yours were, hahaha.

    Nice to meet you and your blog, I found you from Laila's.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm back lady.. Surgery was a pain in the rear but it's done. Now three weeks of misery as I have been banned from everything except the computer and even that seems to have a limit to it. Thanks for coming by to check on me. If I can sit still for three weeks there's a chance they can save my eyeball after all.. Not the sight that's gone but at least the eye itself. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sending all the people to my blog, you are a sweetie. I don't write as much as a I should, but I like my sleep. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. KT (re your comments): sounds like you've "been there - done that." Oh to be a spry 40 again.

    Hadn't seen that link you sent - loved it. Good time for a needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. KT, Laila made me do it and now it's your turn.
    I do remember a post you wrote about your underwear showing--maybe you can republish that one.:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I keep wanting to tell you and keep forgetting because I'm a pea brain. (and we both know I have ADHD so forgive me) I love that picture of you. What a beauty! Thanks for all your support and prayers lately clone friend. Know that you are in mine also.. How is your dad fairing?

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were film star gorgeous, Karen! I doubt any man (in this instance, dean!) would ever have been able to "lecture" you! I am quite sure that you had them all weak at the knees :)

    Now that I also know you and Melynda are both ADHD, it proves my theory...you ARE clones! Furthermore, I'm not in the least surprised by the measures you took to ensure that A!

    I think of you often, knowing you're currently playing the "waiting game" with your Dad...not easy, I know. I hope you are keeping strong and well and that he's doing OK under the circumstances.I am just so relieved you no longer have the added stress of your granddaughter in your life and hope she's managing to take charge of her own life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, kt, do you write secret blogs or am I the only one excluded? Usually when I can't open your post--which happens a lot--I can go to your previous post & click on "newer post" & it takes me there. Not so with MAN UP TO THE PANTY CHALLENGE. Do you have any idea what's happening?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't get MEDI CALL AD PARODY, either!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is absolutely classic stuff. And my goodness weren't you (still are!) glamorous?

    ReplyDelete
  28. A favorite story? What a neat thing to do! Thanks for stopping by...I am running SO behind..yes I am!! I can't even begin to tell...but I am sure I am not alone in "running as fast as I can"...Oh dear. I feel a "whine" beginning to sound in that voice in my head...
    :)
    Hugs!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wait...I got mixed up and thought I was ...I'm sorry...I wanted to comment on your story of your presentation..and firey finale! :)
    I hope you got an A+ because you hit the nail directly on the head! "DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!" Gotta feeling everyone remembers you message...AND you! :)
    Hugs,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry...that was "fiery"... :) right? right?

    ReplyDelete
  31. FISHDUCKY............still haven't gotten whatever you sent.

    ReplyDelete