Monday, September 27, 2010

#26-HOW I ACQUIRED THE NAME BETTY BOOP


When we (my children and I) lived in Culver City, California I worked as a clerk in the Municipal Court.  My job, at the time of this story, was to collect the fines for traffic ticket.  It was the 70s and mini skirts/dresses were the rage.  The only problem was that slips were nonexistent because of the shortness of the outfits (soon you will see why this bit if information is important). 


The day I acquired my nickname I was wearing the SHARPEST olive green mini dress money could buy.  It had a large (PLUNGING) white collar, white cuffs and about eight ROUND (key word) white buttons (from PLUNG to hem).  I knew I looked Gooooood!

I was standing at the traffic counter finishing up the last person’s ticket.  The counter topped-off at about six inches above my belly button.  It was just the right height to rest my arms on the top of the counter; and do the required work.  In fact, we had a very buxom (and shorter) lady who worked there.  She made a habit of throwing back her shoulders and parking her BUXOM on the counter (but that is another story).  Back to MY story.

It is also important to know that there were drawers just below the counter top.  Several of them, with flat (another key word) drawer pulls.

A HANDSOME (30-something) gentleman stepped to the counter and I curtly (and with economy of motion) stepped sideways to the left to meet him.  At that very moment my dress caught on one of the knobs, and the side stepping maneuver caused every buttonhole to slip over the beautiful ROUND white buttons.  There I was, laid open like a delicately filleted fish.

The man saw this FINE looking woman (ME) standing in front of him in my bra and pantyhose with my dress hanging open.  He also saw that I had a pair of olive green panties on over the hose (lest I inadvertently bent over to pick up a dropped object).   In addition to that he saw that I had CRUDELY draped (and pinned) a small, olive green scarf over and around a portion of my bra (so the plunging neckline would not plunge me into trouble with the judge)

Quickly, I turned around, buttoned my dress, turned back around and said, “May I help you, sir?”

He was standing there with a crooked smile on his face and replied,"Honey, you already did!”  I can't begin to describe the reactions this produced by the rest of the office personnel who had just witnessed the unbelievable event.

TRUE STORY!  (Honestly!)  kt 2010

P.S.
This is me in a little pink number (December 1973)
It was taken in the courthouse break room when I thought I was alone
(obviously I wasn't).
I found the picture on the bulletin board with the following inscription on the back,
"To the greatest fanny in the world."  
There were also several hilarious notes pinned around the picture (and even phone numbers).

The undies had a blue and white checkered design with pink flowers the color of my dress
.  And, look, Mom would be proud...I had my knees together!

kt 3/2011

6 comments:

  1. You know you carefully engineered both happenings to get yourself into the spotlight :)

    No, seriously, Karen...the bending over to show off your pretty undies...OK! I'll give you that one...but the buttons popping open simultaneously???

    Only pulling your leg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I think we should call you Fanny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pix. And yes , your mom would be proud thst you had your knees together but no slip???

    My uncle used to say that panty hose ruined seeing a girls undies! He was a character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I used to wear mini-skirts all the time. One day I wore a tiny little spandex dress to the grocery store. I noticed that all these men were following me and I felt much admired, until finally a gentlemanly bag boy says, "Ma'am, your dress is showing your bottom." Sure enough, it had wiggled up over my rear and my bottom was hanging out. I RAN from that store!!

    ReplyDelete